Honolulu LASIK Surgeon
Jon M. Portis, MD specializes in state-of-the-art customized laser cataract surgery, as well as LASIK. For cataract surgery, using wavefront technology, he selects the specific intraocular lens best suited for the patient’s eye and to achieve the desired visual result as well as the sharpest possible vision. He then utilizes the LenSx femtosecond laser to perform the cataract removal with the greatest precision possible.
Dr. Portis obtained his undergraduate degree at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) graduating with honors in chemistry. He then went on to earn his Doctorate of Medicine from Harvard Medical School. After completing an internship at Queen’s Medical Center, he completed his ophthalmology training at Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco and has been in practice in Honolulu since 1985.
Dr. Jon Portis has been elected by his peers to Best Doctors in America® from 2001 to 2016
Dr. Portis was one of the earliest surgeons in Hawaii to perform laser vision correction surgery (LASIK), as well as the first to implant a multifocal intraocular lens at the time of cataract surgery. Dr. Portis was also one of the first surgeons in Hawaii to offer laser cataract surgery without the need for a surgical blade.Dr. Portis enjoys jogging and completed 25 consecutive Honolulu Marathons, and has an interest in nature photography.
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii
- Past President Hawaii Ophthalmological Society
- Past Hawaii Councilor to American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Best Doctors in America Award 2001-2016
Memberships and Associations:
- Fellow and lifetime member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Member American College of Ophthalmic Surgery
- Member of the Hawaii Ophthalmological Society